How often can my athlete workout?
Posted on May 19, 2022
And I get it – you want your athlete to train hard 1) so they won’t be fatigued in practices and games and 2) so they can have an edge on the competition.
But to advance your athlete, you have to be mindful of a few things. If they train hard 100% of the time, the likelihood that they will run into ‘overtraining syndrome’ increases (which is not a good thing).
While I wish there was a straightforward answer, there are multiple factors to consider as each can dictate Training Frequency:
- Has my athlete trained before?
- What’s their current Sport Season (Pre Season, Off Season, etc.)?
- What’s their current Training Phase (e.g. goal)?
- Given their schedule, what’s reasonable?
The list goes on….
BUT, I will give you general rule of thumb-
*Note: This assumes 1) this is a High School Athlete, 2) that this isn’t their first time training, and 3) that they are not playing a second sport.
- Pre Season: Train 2-4x/week
- In Season: Train 1-3x/week
- Post Season: Train 0-3x/week
- Off Season: Train 3-4x/week
I hope this will help you a little as you plan your athlete’s training schedule!